You may think that low cost Indiana health insurance is a thing of the past, but it's not. Here's how to get low cost Indiana health insurance with a government program or with a private insurance company.
Indian Health Insurance Options
You have four options for low cost health insurance in Indiana. They are:
Low Income Health Insurance
The state of Indiana offers health insurance to individuals and families who cannot afford private health insurance. These state sponsored programs include:
* Medicaid, which is available to children, teenagers, pregnant women, and low income families.
* Hoosier Healthwise, which is available to children, pregnant women, and low-income families.
* Medicare, which is a federal health insurance program available to people 65 or older, and for people who are disabled.
For more information on these programs, visit the Indiana Department of Insurance websites at: in.gov/idoi
High Risk Health Insurance
* Comprehensive Health Insurance Pool (CHIP), which is available to people with pre-existing health conditions making them ineligible for private health insurance.
For more information on this program, visit the Indiana Department of Insurance website at: in.gov/idoi
Private Health Insurance
There are two basic types of private health insurance plans available in Indiana. They are:
* Indemnity plans, also called fee-for-service plans, which are the most expensive plans. These plans provide health care in exchange for a premium and a deductible (usually $500 to $2,000). With these plans you may use the doctor and hospital of your choice.
* Managed Health Care Plans (HMOs, PPOs, POSs), which are the least expensive plans. These plans provide health care in exchange for a premium and a co-payment (usually $5 to $10 per doctor visit). With these plans you must use a doctor or hospital within a network of health care professionals, or pay an additional fee to use a non-network doctor or hospital.
Where to Get Low Cost Indiana Health Insurance
Health insurance premiums can vary dramatically form one insurance company to the next, so the first thing you need to do to get low cost health insurance is to compare rates from different companies. The easiest way to do that is to go to an insurance comparison website.